Thursday, May 9, 2013

Alternative Assessment

                              Similes & Metaphors Test
We spent about two weeks reviewing and discussing similes and metaphors and I wanted to assess the students but didn't want to give a standard written test to do so. Soo, instead I came up with this:
Each student got a blank sheet of paper. On the back they had to come up with four things about them, five for a bonus point. They had to use at least two similes and two metaphors to describe their eyes, nose, lips, and hair (their cheeks were extra credit). Then, instead of actually drawing themselves, they had to draw their portrait with the similes and metaphors they had described themselves illustrated in the picture.
Now, I chose not to tell my kids that this was a test because they tend to freak out. After they turned them in I asked them if they thought it was easy or hard and majority said easy and then I told them it was a test and explained why I didn't tell them.

No comments:

Post a Comment