Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Pigeon Adjectives

To start the Mo Willems unit I showed the kids a YouTube video of an animated "Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus". I would have loved to read the book to the kids but I didn't have this book with me that day so I went to the dear old internet and found it animated. The best thing about reading the book is having the students tell the Pigeon "NO!" each time he asks if he can drive the bus. So to improvise I told the kids ahead of time that if the Pigeon asks if he can drive the bus they have to tell him no.
The kids interacted so well with the video and they loved watching it on the StarBoard. They wanted to watch it again, but we didn't have time. After the video we talked about how the Pigeon was trying to use persuasion to try and get the reader to let him drive the bus. We are also writing a Valentine's persuasive piece so it was nice to be able to make that connection.
During the week we had been working on adjectives. I thought it would be perfect to take what we were learning and connect it to the Pigeon. I created up a real quick worksheet on Microsoft Word that had a picture of the pigeon with a thought bubble above his head and printed it off. The kids had to come up with a question the Pigeon would be asking in the bubble. Then around the Pigeon they had to come up with 10 adjectives that would describe the Pigeon that they just saw in the video. Here is the finished product:

No comments:

Post a Comment